Welcome to internet web page from Heinz Seyfert in East Saxony

since 1272

Welcome to Beiersdorf in Upper Lussatia!

Welcome to Beiersdorf in Upper Lussatia!

The small village Beiersdorf is located about 60 km/37.26 miles the east of Dresden (Saxony's capital town). Not far away is Bautzen (a medium-sized town older than 1,000-yaers with its Ortenburg Castle and many other towers) and Loebau (with an imposing cast-iron tower on 448 m/1,469.4 feet high Loebau Mountain, unique in Europe, older than 150-yaers). For the first time it was documentarily mentined in 1272 under the name Beiersdorf. But it must have existed long before documents show. It is certain that the village of Beiersdorf already hed been there next to Brettstrasse (board street) between Bautzen and Bohemian Zwickau (to Czech Republic, Cvikov is a medium-sized town in Česká Lípa District). [1]

Beiersdorf be situated in the idyllic valley surrounded by the mountain range of legendary Bieleboh (499 m/1,596.8 feet, in Sorabian: the white god) and the mountain Steinklunsen (437 m/1,433.4 feet). The village is 3.5 km/2.17 miles long and difference in altitude from 320 m/1,049.6 feet to 405 m/1,328.4 feet along the creek „Beiersdorfer Wasser”, that flow to 4.5 km/2.79 miles into the River Spree near the villages of Taubenheim.

The actuel Settlement took place in the end of 13th century, when Franconien and Thuringian settlers came via Saxony to the Lausitzer hilly country to look for a new home. The colonists came in long tracks with all their belongings they had. They found fertile pastures, crystal-clear water and forests rich it timber to build their first houses. They settled on both sides of the creek „Beiersdorfer Wasser” in the direction of the mountains to the North and South and they cultivated the land into fields. Each settler got a small strip of land (Hufe) of to 2 km/1.24 miles long. Most of the time this strip of land (Hufe) stretched from the farm to the ridge of the mountains out of granite, so that Beiersdorf became a typicall Waldhufendorf (wood-huf-village). [1]

Beiersdorf was a pure farming village until the middle of 19th century. At the end of the 19th century small factories (textile manufacturing, stone industry) businesses were estabblished in the area of Beiersdorf. A remarkable milestone was the construction the railway line (the track gauge 29 inch/750 mm, 12 km/7.45 miles long), in the year 1892 between the villages Taubenheim (near River Spree at the borderline to Czech Republic) and Duerrhennersdorf with the connection the railway network the Royal Saxon States Railways. Dismantling and compensation on Soviet Union at the end of World War II 1945 until 1946.

The districts:

has lot of geographical variety and is a beautiful places in Upper Lusatia with 1,400 inhabitants.

The most beautiful place from Beiersdorf it the Part of the Village Gebirge (with an old saw mill „Brettmuehle”, older than 400-yaers) and the wonderful natural landscape in the near restaurant „Amselgrund”, is the starting point for a series of beautiful walkways in surrounding area. The numerous Oberlausitzer Umgebindehauser (houses with special architecture) are especially beautiful.

Today Beiersdorf, there are small companies, doctors, dentist, fire brigade (with tradition since 135 yaers), 4 restaurants, the tower of mountain bieleboh with a view to a lot geographical variety the Upper Lusatia.

Welcome to Beiersdorf, a one of most beautiful places in Upper Lusatia.
And so you can find Beiersdorf in East Saxony!
Thank you for interest in seyfert-beiersdorf.de!
References/footnotes:
1 Gemeinde Cunewalde-Ein Tal mit Weitblick, The village Cunewalde official website: www.cunewalde.de/english.html